Mauri and Welcome to this Unit!
The Media and Public Awareness Unit is one of this Division’s Units, functioned by 3 staffs working together to fulfill our TOR (Terms of References) and responsibilities which is detailed below.
Our primary goal is to interact with, and educate the public on, environmental issues through consultations, coordination of International and National Days such as Biodiversity Day, National Environment Day, Clean Up Day and many more……
We also regularly publish environmental issues especially pressing issues that can be seen in our island environment surroundings. These publications are made in the form of inset on newpapers, newsletter, radio spots, posts on our websites and many more.
Furthermore below are our responsibilities as well as activities that we follow in our workplan:
Terms of Reference:
- Represent environmental issues at various national committees & meetings
- Present environmental issues to appropriate levels
- Represent environmental issues to the community where appropriate
- Harness public opinion on environmental responsiveness
- Utilize the media in representing environmental issues
- Develop, conduct and evaluate a range of public awareness presentations
- Use PowerPoint to develop presentations
- Ensure presentations are tailored to needs of target group
- Develop a proactive schedule of public awareness programs in schools, community and other government organizations
- Promote Train the Trainer of Public Awareness Programs
- Develop written materials in English and Kiribati to promote environmental issues
- Draft press releases
- Develop newsletters
- Develop information packages on environmental issues
- Utilize a radio programme for public awareness
- Develop appropriate radio programme
- Advise and coach on a range of media equipment
- Use desktop publishing for newsletters
- Create video programmes
- Draft strategy action plan for public awareness, media and community reach out
- Integrate different and conflicting opinions into an agreed objective
- Develop effective working relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- Be responsible to the Senior Responsible officer (SRO) of the Ministry of Environment, through the Head of the ECD
This Unit is your first-Stop for inquiry on environment information, and we are always ready to help in all means we can.
For further information on this Unit or general environment information in Kiribati, contact the MPA staff on the following emails:
Robite – firstname.lastname@example.org
or contact us on these numbers during working hours: 28000, 28211, and 28425
Media and Public Awareness Unit